“To create a caring and responsive municipality that will be the best to live in, work for, and do business with.”
· To provide effective, efficient and sustainable basic services
· To create an enabled environment for businesses to grow and create jobs
· To provide a responsive, transparent and accountable leadership
Moses Kotane Local Municipality is a category B4 municipality located within the Bojanala District Municipality in the North West Province. It was established after re-demarcation of municipal boundaries and subsequent municipal elections in 2000.
The Municipality covers an area of approximately 5220km² and is mostly rural in nature comprising 107 villages and 2 two formal towns of Mogwase and Madikwe.
The 2001 Census estimated that Moses Kotane Local Municipality has a population of 237 175. The Municipality has a predominantly African population with fewer Indian, coloured and white groups who are mostly residing in Sun City residence and Mogwase Unit 2. The total number of households is estimated at 61 759.
The economy of Moses Kotane is characterized mainly by tourism, mining, agriculture owing to its location within the major tourism and mining belt of the North West province, Pilanesberg and Sun City. Industry and social services also form critical part of the local economy.
The Municipality is an EXCO type with 30 Wards. It is led by Council made up of 60 members including the Speaker, Mayor and the Executive Committee. The Mayor is the Head of Executive Committee (EXCO) which comprises 10 Councillors who head various portfolio committees. The municipality performs functions and powers assigned to it in terms of sections 156 and 229 of the Constitution.
The current Council term which started in March 2006 will end after announcement of Local Government elections by the Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs expected to be in May 2011.
According to the state of local government overview produced by the National Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs, below are characteristics of category B4 municipality:
· Local municipality which is mainly rural with communal tenure and at most, with one or two small towns in the area.
· Vulnerable from revenue generation and institutional development perspective
· Located in economically depressed areas and have difficulty in attracting and retaining skilled managers, professionals and technicians.
MKLM falls under classification 2 of spatial location meaning that:
· It has commercial farming areas with small service towns
· It is a municipality in which a portion was previously located in a disestablished apartheid homelands
· Semi desert areas or those with low population densities.