The Municipality covers an area of approximately 5220km² and is mostly rural in nature, comprising of 107 villages and 2 two formal towns of Mogwase and Madikwe. The N4 Corridor which is the east-west bound road connecting Rustenburg and Pretoria runs to the south of Moses Kotane local municipality. The R510 north-south bound road connects Moses Kotane Local Municipality to North.
Moses Kotane Local Municipality is bordered by:
- Thabazimbi Local Municipality in the North, which is situated in Waterberg District Municipality of the Limpopo province,
- Madibeng Local Municipality in the east (Bojanala Platinum District Municipality, NW)
- Rustenburg Local Municipality (Bojanala Platinum District Municipality, NW) and
- Kgetlengrevier Local Municipality in the south (Bojanala Platinum District Municipality, NW)
- Ramotshere Moiloa Local Municipality in the west (Ngaka Modiri Molema District Municipality, NW).