Moses Kotane is now classified as Category B4 Local Municipality which is mainly rural with communal tenure. Such a municipality is at most one or two small towns in their area. It is one of the five local municipalities constituting the Bojanala Platinum District Municipality classified as Category C1.
Moses Kotane Local Municipality is bordered by:
- Thabazimbi Local Municipality in the North, which is situated in Waterberg District Municipality of the Limpopo province,
- Madibeng Local Municipality in the east (Bojanala Platinum District Municipality, NW)
- Rustenburg Local Municipality (Bojanala Platinum District Municipality, NW) and
- Kgetlengrevier Local Municipality in the south (Bojanala Platinum District Municipality, NW)
- Ramotshere Moiloa Local Municipality in the west (Ngaka Modiri Molema District Municipality, NW).
- The Municipality covers an area of approximately 5220km² and is mostly rural in nature, comprising of 107 villages and 2 two formal towns of Mogwase and Madikwe. The N4 Corridor which is the east-west bound road connecting Rustenburg and Pretoria runs to the south of Moses Kotane local municipality. The R510 north-south bound road connects Moses Kotane Local Municipality to North
Moses Kotane Local Municipality population was estimated at 242 553 by 2011 Census compared to 237 175 by Census 2001. The Municipality has a predominantly African population with fewer Indian, Coloured and White groups who are mostly residing in Sun City residence and Mogwase Unit 2. It should be noted that the recognized legal statistics to be used in developing IDP’s is from Census 2011.
Geographic information of households by 2011 was estimated at 75 195 compared to 61 759 by Census 2001 with the same total number of dermarcated wards. The Municipality is comprised of 31 Wards and is led by Council, the Speaker, Mayor and the Executive Committee. The Mayor is the Head of Executive Committee (EXCO) which comprises of 10 Councillors who are head of various departments and serve in portfolios. Total number of Proportional Representatives and Ward Councillors amount to 62 Councillors.